Become a Full Time Member
Applications for Year 25 are OPEN!
1. Submit your application at americorps.gov along with two references OR
2. Download and Save the AmeriCorps St. Louis Application. You must open it, save as a PDF, and send the completed application to email@example.com along with two references. Use this Reference Form.
3. Both references must be submitted for your application to be considered.
"The skills I am leaving this program with are too many to count.
More importantly, I learned how to be a better friend and teammate, how to lead a group of my peers, how to be flexible in ever changing conditions. I became a more outgoing and capable person. And I made some of the best friends I will ever have."
Emergency Response Team
Spend a year assisting disaster-affected communities, fighting wildfires, and conserving natural resources with a team of 35 other young adults. In our country, the frequency of natural disasters has doubled in the last decade, and the threat of man-made disasters has increased; yet, most citizens are still unprepared when disaster strikes.
The AmeriCorps St. Louis Emergency Response Team (ERT) is making real advances in both disaster preparedness and response. The ERT is a multi-functional rapid deployment group that has been called out nationally to floods, tornadoes, wildfires, hurricanes, search and rescue, ice storms, and terrorist attacks. When not involved in disaster response or preparedness activities, the ERT assists the Missouri Departments of Conservation and Natural Resources, the U.S. Forest Service, and local Missouri organizations with trail maintenance, habitat restoration, and other natural resource projects.
Members of the Emergency Response Team must be in good physical condition and have the ability to function as supportive and dependable teammates, even in times of extreme stress and adversity. A love for the outdoors is a must as ERT Members spend most of their service out of town, living communally and often sleeping in rustic conditions. On any given day, an AmeriCorps St. Louis Emergency Response Team Member could:
- Provide immediate and long-term relief in areas affected by natural disasters
- Restore Missouri forests, river-ways, and recreation areas
- Build and maintain trails, bridges, cave gates and more
- Fight wildland fires or participate in prescribed burns in Missouri or Western States
- Conduct disaster response and preparedness trainings for communities and other national service organizations
All ERT Corps Members will receive an intensive orientation including: physical conditioning, team building and leadership skills, introduction to disaster services, chainsaw and other power equipment operations, dealing with people in crisis, risk management approaches, Incident Command System, emergency communications, and basic emergency medical care.